Thursday, September 10, 2009

Yoshi meets the neighborhood


I guess this is the first story from Yoshi's collection of ongoing adventures. Many thanks to Yoshi's Mom's for sharing them with us.

And here we go...

...Yoshi is indeed quite the attraction in the neighborhood...My brother has even brought some of his friends over to meet Yoshi – hard to impress my brother, but he is happy to have Yoshi as his favorite nephew! The feeling is mutual as Yoshi loves him as well.

There are three kids across the street who daily await his arrival. One is autistic and is learning (with some prompting from me) the proper way to treat an animal, so Yoshi is really an unofficial therapy dog. Yoshi loves the kids and does his crying/whimpering thing later on in the evening if by chance the kids are not out when we walk – he lays in the entry way facing the door – and whimpers as if to say “I miss them and want to see my friends, mom!” I have met about twenty neighbors because of Yoshi. He is so very good at just getting loved on and then making himself comfortable.

Yesterday, there were two 13-year olds who looked liked hooligans, but turned out to be really great kids and loved Yoshi and learning all about the Akita Breed. We talked for about a half hour. One kid was going home to go online to look up more information and to check out the WA Akita Rescue Group and TikiHut Akita Rescue.

When I was talking to another neighbor down the road this past weekend, Yoshi was laying down and a cat literally walked five feet in front of him (brave cat)...Yoshi was certainly watching intently but as soon as I said "leave it” (Best command ever), he did...the neighbor, as I, were dully impressed. The cat was quite relieved, I am sure!...


[For those of you joining us for the first time, Yoshi is a graduate from the TikiHut Foster Care program and was adopted by his new Mom and big sister, Sheba, during Spring 2009.]

No comments: